Cleveland Homeowners' Complete Guide To Effective Cockroach Control
December 30, 2021 - Cockroaches
A pest is any creature that causes trouble for people. Sometimes we have a small tolerance for pests, like letting flies buzz around our heads while spending time in nature or calmly picking up a ladybug and placing them outdoors. Other times, pests are too pesky to tolerate. One example of this is the cockroach. This invasive and gross house pest is a huge problem here in Cleveland. Here is an effective guide you can use today to help you keep cockroaches out of your Cleveland home.
The Types Of Cockroaches That Invade Cleveland Homes
Cleveland is home to a few different types of cockroaches. The three most common include American cockroaches, German cockroaches, and Oriental cockroaches. Oriental cockroaches are the least common of the three and usually only invade homes when it is especially dry or stormy outdoors. German cockroaches are by far the most common and will come indoors whenever they see an opportunity for food, water, and shelter. American cockroaches are the largest roach species in our area and will invade homes if it is advantageous for them to do so.
The Health Risks Cockroaches Create In Homes
Cockroaches are not just incredibly creepy creatures; they are also a huge risk to human health. The main way these pests threaten people is by spreading disease-causing organisms over surfaces and left-out food. The German cockroach alone spreads 33 different dangerous bacteria, 7 human pathogens, and 6 parasitic worms. Keep this in mind if you have an active infestation inside your home and do your best to avoid roach fecal droppings or eating left-out food that may have been contaminated.
Cockroaches are also dangerous because they shed their skin, and when it breaks down, the particulates get into the air, as do their dry fecal droppings. These irritants are especially harmful to individuals with allergies, asthma, or other respiratory problems.
Six Easy & Effective Cockroach Prevention Tips
If you are looking for ways to avoid a cockroach infestation inside your Cleveland home, one thing you can do is put in place some prevention tips. To help you with this, here are six easy and effective natural methods to try today.
- Thoroughly inspect your home's exterior and its window/door frames for damage that might allow cockroaches a way inside. Seal gaps and cracks with caulk, repair or replace damaged screens, and install door sweeps or weatherstripping where there are gaps around windows and doors.
- Address moisture issues in and around your home, which might involve repairing leaky faucets and pipes, fixing damaged gutters, and using a dehumidifier indoors.
- Keep your living areas as clean as you can. We recommend washing beneath large kitchen appliances as cockroaches love to hide in tight and greasy areas like these.
- Take out your trash regularly and do your best to keep cans clean.
- Store leftover food away inside of airtight containers. Consider doing the same for opened boxes of food and pet food.
- Reduce clutter in and around your home.
Cleveland Homeowners' Secret Weapon To Total Cockroach Control
If you find a cockroach in your house and are worried that more are hiding close by, you are probably right. If you want to make sure roaches get and stay out of your Cleveland home, your best option is to hire the experts at Avenger Pest Control. We offer quick and effective pest control in Cleveland to handle even the most massive cockroaches and are ready at a moment's notice to get your interior spaces the residential or commercial pest protection you deserve.
Call now to learn more about our Cleveland, OH cockroach control and schedule your Cleveland home for cockroach identification and prevention services.